KAUNAS PHOTO is the longest-running annual photographic pageant within the Baltic States, based mostly in Kaunas, Lithuania, since 2004. Maintaining its robust worldwide character, KAUNAS PHOTO is a platform of premieres of rising skills.
KAUNAS PHOTO pageant, proclaims an Open Call for its 16th edition, inviting photographers to propose their works and offering exhibiting alternatives in addition to participation at New KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Award, consisting of a solo exhibition on the largest images gallery within the Baltic States, Kaunas Images Gallery and a 2500 EUR financial prize.
KAUNAS PHOTO pageant opening events will start on September 5 and 6, 2019.
> Who can submit? What works are expected?
For inclusion into the pageant, works on the theme “Digital – Virtual – Real”, exploring the life impacted by digital applied sciences, are welcome. All types, genres of images focusing on processes, penalties of digitized way of life, knowledge circulate, communication, cyber-crime and -security, machine learning, surveillance, automation, and so forth. Works created benefitting of digital technologies, akin to VR, AR are equally welcome.
KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2019 Award is matter free. Any solidly built photographic story or a strong conceptual, aesthetic work presentable in a collection of 12-15 photographs is accepted. If video, VR, AR materials submitted, or they are inseparable a part of a challenge, the set of 12-15 static photographs have to be accompanied by links to Youtube or Vimeo addresses, included within the description of labor. Pictures might be screenshots or views of exhibition installations. No single photographs, please.
All Photographers/Artists, no matter their age, nationality and place of residence are invited to submit work. KAUNAS PHOTO pageant is understood for its concentrate on documentary, but all types, genres and approaches to images are accepted and exhibited. Each accomplished works and people in progress can are welcome.
Photographers/Artists with KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Award in focus, should ask themselves – “is my work ready for a space of 200 square metres?”.
If Photographers / Artists want that their works remain unpublished till the pageant a „DO NOT SHARE ON SOCIAL NETWORKS“ word ought to be included.
>>> Deadline – July 12, 2019, 23:59 entrant’s native time. No extensions.
Photographers/Artists are inspired to enter works as early as attainable, because the pageant curatorial group will probably be reviewing and learning submissions as quickly as they are going to be arriving.
> Entry consists of:
• title of the work;
• 12-15 photographs (2400 px on the longer aspect, JPG 90% high quality);
• brief description of the work (up to 250 words);
• brief written BIO (up to 250 phrases), adopted by photographer’s contacts: e-mail, telephone number/s, mailing handle.
• Non-refundable entry charge of 25 EUR, per collection entered, payable on the time of submission. No more than two collection per artist.
For one of the best of understanding, texts have to be in English.
>>>Entries by way of LensCulture.com only<< Thematic program and a topic-free competition
Photographers/Artists submitting works to Open Call could be enrolled in Kaunas Photograph 2019 within the following ways:
• [entries on the theme “Digital – Virtual – Real”] could be included into KAUNAS PHOTO pageant program: Outside exhibitions, introduced in squares in Kaunas, Exhibitions in galleries and Projection occasions; the central thematic exhibition at the M.Žilinskas Artwork Gallery of the Nationwide M.Okay.Čiurlionis Artwork Museum and other museum/gallery spaces;
• [theme not obligatory] KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Award – Finalist’s and Winner’s exhibitions.
The staff of decision-making curators on the Jury panel will evaluation all entries and ultimately give them publicity via their platforms, institutions and networks.
The New KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Award, up to date with 2500 EUR prize
The KAUNAS PHOTO STAR tradition started in 2010, awarding the perfect participant of portfolio evaluations with a solo exhibition at Kaunas Images Gallery and paying respect to a possible future star of images. Since 2018, the KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Winner also receives a 2500 EUR prize. Attainable revenue tax obligations, ultimately imposed by the country of citizenship of the Winner, might be his/her duty. In Lithuania, this prize is tax-exempt.
Open Call from KAUNAS PHOTO pageant is followed by the Jury work that may choose the shortlist of Finalists. All the shortlisted Photographers/Artists could have their exhibitions at the pageant in 2019. The variety of Finalists shall be advisable by the pageant and decided by the Jury. The Winner, chosen from the Finalists by a joint board of curators of KAUNAS PHOTO pageant and Kaunas Images Gallery, will have fun his/her exhibition at Kaunas Images Gallery and receive the monetary prize. The choice relating to the Winner cannot be appealed.
The exhibitions of each, Finalists’ and the Winner’s works will open on Friday, September 6, 2019. The KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2019 Winner is just revealed upon opening of the doorways of Kaunas Images Gallery.
> Every KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2019 Finalist agrees:
• to offer the pageant with a set of 20 – 35 digital information of print high quality and additional supplies, if wanted: texts, materials for installations, and so forth. The materials will serve for detailed assessment of tasks within the progress of choice of the Winner, in addition to for the manufacturing of the exhibition, if such choice is taken between KAUNAS PHOTO pageant and the Photographer/Artist;
• to offer information about present bodily exhibitions of works submitted to the Open Call and technical knowledge for logistics, insurance coverage. Based mostly on designated exhibition spaces and other standards, the pageant will either cover the transportation and insurance fees of present exhibition or produce the exhibition in Lithuania from digital information, offered by the Photographer/Artist;
• to propose potential methods of exhibiting his or her work, however settle for the final selections of the exhibition architects of KAUNAS PHOTO pageant;
• that no site-specific or content material information about Finalists’ exhibitions will probably be disclosed till the date and hours of the exhibition openings.
> Each KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2019 Finalist is entitled to:
• a journey allowance of up to 150 EUR, in return to proof of journey expenses, comparable to tickets, invoices, receipts of cost, bearing amounts paid, dates of travel, identify of the traveller. The allowance is payable throughout / after the visit to Kaunas. Citizens of European Union nations will obtain travel allowance funds by way of financial institution transfers;
• a minimum of two nights of lodge accommodation in Kaunas at a lodge booked by the pageant.
The KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2019 Winner receives:
• a solo exhibition at Kaunas Images Gallery (200 sq. metres), produced or, if exhibition exists and responds to needed criteria, transported and ensured at expense of KAUNAS PHOTO pageant;
• a financial prize of 2500 EUR, payable to the Winner’s bank account, after the opening of the exhibition at Kaunas Images Gallery, but not later than October 31, 2019.
> Jury Members:
• Fred Boucher – Photaumnales pageant and Usimage Biennale (Clermont/Beauvais, France), Director
• Claude Goulet – Photograph Gaspésie (Quebec, Canada), Director
• Ieva Meilutė-Svinkūnienė – Unbiased Curator (Vilnius, Lithuania)
• Anna Dannemann – The Photographers’ Gallery (London, UK), Senior Curator
• Grzegorz Jarmocewicz – InterPhoto pageant (Bialystok, Poland), Art Director
• Kristin Kern – Fotografisk Middle (Copenhagen, Denmark), Director
• Donatas Stankevičius – Kaunas Images Gallery (Lithuania), Curator
• Gintaras Česonis – Kaunas Images Gallery (Lithuania), Director
• Mindaugas Kavaliauskas – KAUNAS PHOTO pageant (Lithuania), Founder & Director
> Earlier Winners of KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Award
The KAUNAS PHOTO STAR Winners have held their exhibitions at Kaunas Images Gallery:
• Simon Menner (Germany, 2018)
• Mayumi Suzuki (Japan, 2017)
• Julien Lombardi (France, 2016)
• Jeniffer Thoreson (USA, 2015)
• Andrejs Strokins (Latvia, 2013)
• Andrei Liankevich (Belarus, 2012)
• Luca Zanier (Switzerland, 2011)
• Eric Lusito (France, 2010)
> Inclusion into KAUNAS PHOTO pageant program
If chosen to exhibit at KAUNAS PHOTO pageant, Photographers/Artists can be contacted personally. Their names won’t seem on KAUNAS PHOTO website online until the announcement of this system of the pageant.
Normally, the works are produced to match site-specific settings at the expense of the pageant. If the artists’ works are available to be transported, are in affordable distance inside the EU and match the overall concept of exhibition and area in Kaunas, the pageant covers transportation and insurance of works.
Non-Finalist artists, included in the KAUNAS PHOTO pageant program, are entitled to a lodge lodging for at the least 2 days in Kaunas (at pageant’s chosen lodge), solely in instances when they are out there to be present at exhibition openings or purposely organized guided excursions. A modest contribution to travel prices is obtainable to all individuals of exhibitions, payable after the completion of the journey to Kaunas and based mostly on invoices, receipts.
> KAUNAS PHOTO 2019 Timetable
· June 15 – July 12, 23:59 – Entrant’s native time – Open Call for entries;
· July 16 – Announcement of the Shortlist of Finalists on KaunasPhoto.com and pageant’s social profiles
· July 26 – last day for Finalists to switch 30-40 hi-res pictures to the pageant for exhibition preparations;
· From end of June – outside exhibitions across Kaunas;
· September 5– Openings of exhibitions on the topic “Digital – Virtual – Real”
· September 6 – Openings of KAUNAS PHOTO STAR 2019 exhibition, including the Winner;
· Until October 6, 2019 – Artist talks, screenings, instructional events.
> About KAUNAS PHOTO pageant
KAUNAS PHOTO aims to be the stage for the longer term stars of images. Being part of Photograph Pageant Union and Festivals Of Mild Organization, KAUNAS PHOTO pageant is the longest-running photographic pageant in the Baltic states is a platform for dialogue round modern photographic creation between North and South, East and West.
KAUNAS PHOTO is co-funded by Lithuanian Council for Culture and Kaunas Municipality.
KAUNAS PHOTO STAR partners: Kaunas Images Gallery, LensCulture.
>>>Enter works till July 12, 2019 (23:59 your local time) by way of LensCulture<< www.KaunasPhoto.com
> Instagram: @kaunasphoto